It’s never too early to start reading.
How do you choose books for babies? Things that you need to remember while buying books for babies
- Start with Cloth/fabric books totally safe for the baby and Board books, these are sturdy, it encourages the baby to handle books independently, safe when the baby puts it into his/her mouth
- Size of the book: What I personally observed when Chintu was a baby is that, smaller books gave him more independence, it was easier for him to flip and explore the books, bigger books took some time, usually was on the floor. So personally, I would suggest you to opt for books that are smaller in size, which makes it easier for the baby.
- Choose different types of books – textured books (touch and feel), lift the flap, books with holes – gives the child an opportunity to explore, because obviously the baby is not ready to read on their own, you read to the baby, but when it comes to baby handling books independently these types of books really help – other than reading with you, the baby gets their time with the book.
- Books with few words or literally no words & Number of pages: To begin with I personally prefer books with fewer words or no words, because the attention span of the baby is low, also the illustration on each page has to be simple. And I prefer and suggest to go with books that have just a few pages – too many pages will do no good to begin with.
Order Preferred: Cloth books, Touch and feel books, Board Books and Lift the Flap books.
Some authors that I prefer: Eric Carle, Eric Hill, Sandra Boynton, Julia Donaldson, Rod Campbell.
BOOKS FOR 0-12 MONTHS OLD BABIES (Few book suggestions are) :
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar – by Eric Carle
- Baby touch and Feel (Animals) – by DK
- Where is Baby’s Belly Button
- That’s Not My book series – Usborne touchy feely books
- Moo Baa Laa – by Sandra Boynton
- Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See – by Bill Martin Jr/Eric Carle
- Goodnight Moon – by Margaret
- Baby Touch, lift the flap (Peekaboo) – Ladybird
- Spot Goes to School – by Eric Hill (Spot series)
- Post man bear – by Julia Donaldson
- Ten little fingers and ten little toes – by Mem Fox & Helen Oxenbury
- Dear Zoo – by Rod Campbell
- First 100 words – by Roger Priddy
Note: These are just a few suggestions from my end, there are many more beautiful books
To purchase some of the books you can use this link (my amazon storefront) https://www.amazon.in/shop/a_toddler_drama?listId=1O30WB887DL6Y